Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Day 6. 1/1/14. Wed. Trail running and crossfit. trail running is a metaphor for my youth

Was able to change things up to today.  its new year's and the gym should be closed. our good friend Robyn is a trainer and wanted to work out, so she planned a WOD at 3:30.  wasn't an "official" posted workout and only a few diehards came in today.  since the WOD was in the afternoon, I was able to do a trail run in japanese gulch to satisfy my 5K (something I haven't had the time/opportunity to do in at least 6 months or so).

How can I describe what trail running means to me?  after all the miles on the road, seeing the same shit, getting strafed by cars, sucking exhaust, pounding the pavement, running trail is like being reborn.  I seriously don't have words to describe how I feel when I hit the woods.  the incredible smell of the trees and leaves and dirt. the sounds of the water in the brook.  the flashes of sun through the trees.  the patches of cool fog left in the hollows.  I seriously don't care about pace or time or sometimes even mileage.  i just run.  and the anticipation of what's around each bend, incredible.  I can't think about life, or business or anything else, I need to watch the trail, look for wet roots and rocks, watch my footing, earn my steps.  I seriously have no route - every fork or split in the trail, I just gamble and run whichever direction looks best..  no idea what around the corner, living for every step, the pure exhilaration of every step, coming to every fork in the path and just going which ever way strikes my eye.  no consequences, no plan, no goal, just incremental triumph and step by step.  I wish my body wasn't so weak.  I wish I could start running on the trail and never come back.  But just that short time in the woods restores me, makes me feel better about my life, and makes me happy.  I cannot tell you how stoked I am to have the japanese gulch almost in my back yard, just a short walk through my neighborhood gets me to the trailhead.

WOD was a chipper, approx 30 each of KB swings, wall balls, jumping pull ups, sit ups, overhead squats, back extensions, hang power cleans, box jumps, push ups, burpees, double unders, and front squats. Bare barbell for the ovhd squats, cleans, and front squats. This was more of a calorie burner or cardio activity today. Not really what I am interested in right now, but it can't hurt my training at this point.

5K trail run. Crossfit.  coffee. peanut butter toast. meatball/carrot ragu on wheat. chili. cornbread. tea. protein shake. pizza. salad. lots of water.


No comments:

Post a Comment