Tuesday, January 14, 2014

1/14/14, Tuesday. run and crossfit. man, my back aches...

1/14/14, Tuesday.  run and crossfit.

For the first time in over a year, I did my run before work.  I was excited to do this, and i was kind of looking forward to it.  I woke up at about 5am, went out and ran my 5K.  I would like to say this was a fast and easy 5K, but that would be a lie. I had tweaked my lower back yesterday (heavy front squats, followed by some touch and go ground to overhead barbells for time).  I think I got tired, and worried about time on the clock, and my form went to shit.  It was light weight (85#), but I got sloppy.  I know I have upper body/shoulder flexibility issues, and I over-arch my lower back when I press.  I think I didn't hold my core tight and voila, instant teachable moment.  was real stiff this morning, and pretty sore.  not quite pain, just pretty bad discomfort.  quads and hamstrings were super tight, probably to protect my lower back.  was hard to stand up straight.  I was walking around like a baboon.  I thought maybe my 5K would loosen things up and stretch me out and make me feel better.  you know how many times i have thought that in the past, that a run would make my bad back better?  countless.  and it has never come true. but running in the dark, when there is no traffic, is cool.  I was practically alone out there, and i liked it.  fairly warm, 48 degrees, and no rain.  was worth it to get out there.

made a command decision about crossfit. warm-up of hand-stand pushups and double unders, then WOD of rowing followed by 10-1 overhead squats and over the bar burpees.  I decided to try HSPUs and DUs, but skip the squats and burpees.  ovhd squats and burpees are kind of intense on my lower back and I didn't want to agravate it any more. did all the HSPUs with toes on a box.  couldn't string DUs for shit, every jump jarred my lower back.  rowed my 500m at an easy 2:00 split, had a 30 sec rest, then did 30 strict pullups for time.  took about 8:30 for the pull ups.  too slow. 

self-medicate tonight, hope for better tomorrow.

1/14/14. running. crossfit. HSPUs. DUs.  coffee.  apple. turkey tetrazini. peas. protein shake. steak'n'bacon po' boy.  salad. onion rings..

No comments:

Post a Comment