Friday, January 10, 2014

1/10/14. crossfit. rowing. wall balls. burpees. my advice for damper settings...

1/10/14. friday. crossfit, no run.

actually feet kind of crappy, like i have a cold coming on.  that bad feeling in the back on my throat/nose, general aches all over, stomach not great.  almost decided not to WOD, then rationalized it as probably less than 20 min of output.  no problem.  I am not sure about the long run tomorrow.  that is a different sort of venture.  if I feel shitty, I don't think I am down for 50-60 min of running.  I am trying to be flexible.  I'm not even on The Plan yet.  I need to teach myself that if I feel bad, its OK to take an additional rest day.  I need to acknowledge that The Plan is not written in stone, and its OK to play it by ear a little.  its hard for me, because I have blind faith in The Plan, and if I let down on my end of the bargain, I'm afraid it won't get me to my goal.  its hard to accept that in terms of training, a lost training day is better than a workout that makes you worse/sicker and affects a longer duration of training days.  sometimes I need hit with a big stick before I see the light, though.

we did a 500m row for time, then 30-20-10 wall balls and burpees.  as far as rowing, I know there are a lot of proposals for damper setting.  here is my experience.  keep in mind that I cannot preach to anyone, and I cannot say that my practice is good for anyone but me.  but here it is.  you gotta decide if your row is a marathon, or a sprint.  if its long, say over 1000m, I go with a low damper, 3-4, and get a nice smooth even rhythm that I can sustain for a long time. but if its a sprint (like the 500m), I go with a high setting, 9-10, and its a fight to the death between me and the C2.  I am serious, I pull with everything I friggen have, legs then chest then arms, pulling to smash that rower.  explosive leg extension, slight lean back arm pull until the handles smash into my chest. extend arms, lean fwd, and retract legs.  repeat.  its like I'm trying to break every link in that chain.  unsustainable for distance, but it gets me a much lower 500 split than the lower damper setting with a steady pace.  this strategy was suggested to me by a trainer at Crossfit Confortare in NC (awesome box, by the way).  All I can do is suggest you try it for yourself.  do 500m for time at damper 3-4, smooth and steady.  then 500m at damper 9-10, pull with everything you have.  find the results for yourself.  i know you need to think about what kind of energy you need to keep in reserve for the next portion of your workout (so maybe a slower steadier row makes more sense with the entire WOD in mind), but experiment with your body.  seriously, I wouldn't even say I went full 100% this morning, and I hit 500m in 1:37.8.  Which was a PR for me.  try for yourself sometime.  and then, what is there to say about wallballs and burpees?  sucked, but I did it.

we'll see how I feel tomorrow.  long run may be pushed to sunday, or even off the table altogether this week.  next week, due to scheduling issues, I am going to move my afternoon runs (roughly 5pm on Mon/Wed) to 5:30am runs on Tues/Thurs.  Its been a long time since I rolled out of bed and directly hit the road.  I kind of fear for the worst.  wish me luck.

1/10/14. crossfit.  rowing. wallballs. burpees. C4 extreme.  protein shake. coffee. orange. ravioli. kung pao chicken and ramen. apple. cheeseburger. sweet potato fries. salad. lime chili cheetos.

No comments:

Post a Comment