Saturday, January 4, 2014

1/4/13. Sat. long run, yoga, beautiful day for a run...

did my long run early today, hit the road by 9:30am.  was difficult to get motivated, being at home, on a saturday, kids still in their pajamas.  but the weather was beautiful.  pretty chilly, about 35 degrees, but the sun was so bright I needed the tinted lenses in my sport frames.  they say that if you get out the door and feel comfortable, then you are probably wearing too much.  believe me, i was not comfortable.  I saw the sun, and left the hat and gloves at home.  I intended to do 5 miles today.  but when i hit the turn back point, that little voice in my head said "don't stop, WTF? are you lazy? you did 10K last week.  you can't do less than last time.  always try harder, don't go backwards".  So i did 10K again.  stopped by the YMCA to take a leak.  was so sunny, and there were so many cars out, i thought I ought not pee on the side of the road.  and since it was 35 degrees, i decided not to just drain the ballast while i was running.  discretion was the better part of valor for today.  real good run, but  was glad when it was over. how am i possibly gogin to do more than 6 in a go?  i can't believe the typ of mileage i used to pull.  will be tough to get there again. 

does anybody else have crazy shit run through their head during the long run?  i wish i had a mic and recorder to catch a stream of consciousness conversation with myself.  a common thread is when i plead with my brain to go on autopilot.  I say to myself "come on fucker, we both know how this will end, X minutes from now, X miles from now, we're gonna be back home.  every time the same.  so just go on autopilot.  sleep mode.  wake me when we get home."  seriously, I have run the same run hundreds of times, for thousands of miles.  the outcome is always the same.  i do it.  so why do i have to endure it?  the mental challenge of running is tough.

was so awesome to hear from my friend randa the other day.  she's training for her first full.  to hear her say "i'm so glad it a short run this weekend, I'm only going to do 13" was friggen awesome.  that a half marathon! which up until a few weeks ago, had been her longest run ever.  So baddass.  I'm proud of her.  and so proud of manuel for supporting and helping her.

after the run, headed over to the gym.  T teaches a yoga class on saturdays.  I feel so stiff and creaky after the miles, I think the 30 minutes on a foam roller and then 60 min of yoga greatly speeds up my recovery time.  what will i do while she's in india and not teaching?  i will suffer, as will the rest of the "stiff as a board club".

Sat. run. yoga. coffee.  ham and cheese omlette. peanut butter toast. NOxplode. chili. cornbread. weak gatorade. cubano sandwich. cottage cheese. orange. cheese and crackers.  shrimp souvlaki.  salad. pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment