Thursday, January 2, 2014

Day 7. Thurs. 1/2/14. crossfit. why I will not compete in the Open this year.

no running scheduled until Saturday.  I figure, maybe in Feb, I will bump it up from 3 days a week to 4 days a week.

my right ankle is a little sore, I remember turning it on a wet rock yesterday on the trial.  doesn't seem swollen just feels a little funny.  kind of one of those self-diagnostic procedures where you are always aware of what's going on with your body, what seems out of whack, what need taken care of, etc.  I tend to get a little hypochondriac, though.

crossfit today.  warm-up, 10 min EMOM: 1 hang snatch + 2 ovhd squats.  Kept it light so I could work on my form, I honestly think those were my best ovhd squats ever.  WOD was 21-15-9 handstand pushups and burpees, with 25 double unders after each round.  Sometimes I can be fiercely competitive, although I usually try to bury it deep.  in the gym, when there is a timer running, i feel some pressure to perform faster.  I find myself tempted to make decisions that will get me done quicker (like using a lighter weight).  I try to keep good form, but sometimes getting tired and feeling rushed, I am sure my form can get sloppy.  This is just one of those days where I need to stop myself from taking the easy way out, and take time to work harder.  Like saying that I will mod my handstand pushups by putting my toes on a 24" box, instead of my knees on a 24" box.  Its harder, and will take longer.  I may be the last one going, but its better for me.  but i hate it when people come over and start fucking cheering for me.  just leave me alone.  are you rubbing it in that you are done and i am last? let me suffer in anonymity.  you're making me go slower and you're pissing me off.  leave me alone in a corner, and let me beat my body until I can't feel it anymore.  but save your cheering for the ladies.

registration for the crossfit open starts 1/15/14.  I have decided I will not enter.  I feel bad about it, and its kind of melancholy.  I had a real fun time last year.  Competing in the Open built some camaraderie around the gym (i enjoyed working out together with others, along with a little friendly competition), and it added some excitement to my life (watching for the each WOD to be announced live, watching the live demo throwdown, etc).  I had a good system.  WOD announced Wed nights, then we did it once as our Thurs WOD.  I used that first time to figure out what I could/couldn't do, how to pace myself, what to concentrate on.  Then I'd come in on Sat and go balls out, trying to beat my prelim time.  every week, my Sat was stronger/better than my Thurs.

But not this year.  I have long run on sat.  every sat.  I cannot increase my running mileage, and continue my training, at the same time as doing my best in the open.  If I can't do my best, I'm not going to enter.  its not about the $30, or whatever it is this year.  forget that shit.  i could drop $30 in the street and not even notice.  it's about not being able to give it my all, about not being able to try my best in the gym, and about placing my priority on my training.  I'll still do the open WODs on Thursdays in the gym, and I'll judge if wanted, but you won't see my name on the leaderboard this year.  and i feel bad about it.

1/2/14. crossfit.  power snatch, overhead squat, handstand push ups, burpees double unders.  coffee. orange. almonds.  pizza.  apple.  protein shake.  ham and swiss lasagne.  salad.  cookies.  lots of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment