Monday, January 6, 2014

1/6/14. Monday. crossfit and 5K. I want to be The Spear.

regular monday.  crossfit before work, run after work.

T came to 5:30am crossfit with me.  she said the only reason she went was to spend the time with me, since she is leaving wed.  was cool.  buy-in was front squats, 3 EMOM for 10 min.  supposed to go 75-80% of 1RM.  my 1RM was 205, so i should have done 154.  I started at 145 for 7 rounds, did 155 for 2 rounds, and 165 for 1 round.  felt heavy enough by the last round. WOD was 15 min AMRAP: 5 power cleans and 10 toes to bar.  power cleans were supposed to be heavy.  went with 135 for the power cleans and i mostly hit my toes to bar (these are always tough for me).  you don't like that?  too effing bad, that's my workout, my training, and my call.

5K run after work.  wore my new "most reflective jacket known to man" nike flash jacket.  micro-glassbeaded exterior coating, 360 degree of 400 candlepower reflective.  that jacket is a serious eyesore. I friggen love it.  running in the pm, after squats in the am was difficult.  legs felt wooden.  but i tell myself "i'm not in pain, there is no risk today, the machine seems to be working fine, running on tired legs is nothing but training to get me where I need to be".  and then, after a half mile or so, its like i broke free.  i felt like i was flying.  ended up with a fairly fast 5K, and i felt great doing it.

still using my building block approach towards getting ready to hit the plan on 3/10/14.  for the last 2 weeks, i have stepped up the mileage to approx 12.5 miles per week.  I will maintain this through Jan.  then come Feb, I will add friday runs.  should hit 13-15 miles per week for february.  then, come march 10, i should be hard enough to start ramping up.  and we will see how long i can keep up with the crossfit 5 days a week.  March should not be a problem.  April and May may start getting dicey.  Come June and later, I play it by ear...

T thinks I'm running too much right now, causing wear and tear that I should save until closer to the marathon.  i don't know how to explain myself.  i don't have a real mileage goal right now, nor a set number of days to run a weak.  I am trying to cultivate a lifestyle.  I am trying to make my body hard. i am trying to make my legs iron.  i am trying to re-build my engine.  my goal is not to finish at Berlin, its to run further and faster than ever before.  sometimes I wonder what it would be like if i could give myself to this full time.  if i was a real athlete.  if i could hit the gym anytime i wanted.  if i had a professional sport specific coach.  if i could get a sports massage every day.  if i could focus myself with laser intensity, doing nothing that wasn't value added towards helping me achieve my goal.  100% full on, kill it every day.  as Hank puts it, if i was the point of the spear.  I realize you can't live as the spear all day, every day, forever.  but for the next 37 weeks and 5 days, i think i would like to be the spear.

crossfit.  front squats.  power cleans.  toes 2 bar.  5K run.  C4 extreme.  coffee.  orange. almonds. chicken parm.  spaghetti with mizithra.  peas.  tea. apple. pork chops. cabbage. green beans. salad.

1 comment:

  1. I worry that you are over training, too. Except, I worried about that when you were doing the mud run, too, and you seemed to keep it under control.
    I understand that you are trying to make it a lifestyle, but, then I worry that you are too hard on yourself. To have it be a sustainable lifestyle you need to be able to forgive yourself a lazy day, and be okay with not always breaking your personal best. You should give yourself options for cross-training for days your legs need a break. I hear there is a good yoga class up your way...

    ReplyDelete