Thursday, February 6, 2014

2/6/14. run. crossfit. run in the dark, when its 18 degrees F? Why not?

2/6/14. run. crossfit.  yeah, any idiot can run. there's even a few that run in the dark. but it takes a special kind of idiot to get up at 4:45am, and run in the dark when the thermometer reads 18 degrees.  but i lived to tell.  only about a minute slower than normal 5K time.  not sure if it was the temp, or the fact that this is my first week to hit the road 3 days in a row.  i know 5K isn't far, but i'm still getting back into my groove, and 5K 3 days in a row feels like a lot right now.

i don't care so much about the cold (I know my core will warm up while I run), but i was a little scared about running with exposed skin (nose, face). 
I read this article, and concluded that with an air temperature over 15 degrees F, no matter what the wind speed was, I had more than 30 minutes before I could get frostbite. I can limp my way through 5K at 26-28 minutes, any day, so I knew I should be OK.


how-long-does-it-take-to-get-frostbite-or-hypothermia

I did panic a little at the last second and threw on a complete extra layer.  track pants over my running tights. fleece pullover under my reflective jacket, wool fingerless gloves (T knitted them) over my running gloves, etc.  But I couldn't arrive at a solution to cover my face.  I actually tried tying a bandana on, train robber style.  didn't work out.  if I tied it tight enough to stay up, then my breathe fogged up my glasses and i couldn't see.  and breathing through it restricted my breath like an elevation mask.  couldn't catch my breath.  when I loosened it up so i could breathe, it would just fall down.  so the compromise was to hold it up when the wind blew in my face, but let it slouch down when it was calm.  I got through it OK.  But I didn't see too many other people out there this morning! my good friend Jess, a real runner, recommends "the buff" ( how to wear the buff ).  Then she left one on my front porch for me!!! I'm excited to give it a try.


Crossfit. 2 heavy front squats EMOM for 10 min.  decided after 3 days of running, with a long run coming Sat, not to go too heavy (like to failure).  kept it reasonable, max'd out for the last 4 round at 165. WOD was 18-15-12-9-6-3 of hang power snatch and bar bacing burpees.  no fun at all.

2/6/14. run. crossfit. front squat. hang power snatch.  bar facing burpees. coffee. almonds. orange. deep dish pizza. peas. apple. protein shake. baked gnocchi. ceaser salad.lots of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment