Tuesday, February 25, 2014

2/25/14. run. crossfit. so far, i keep up with the strength training.

5am, 5K.  was fairly cold (about 34 degrees) and pretty dark, but no rain.  after last night's 5K, I was feeling some aches and pains here and there.  left hamstring. right foot. right heel.  so I wanted to run a little slower.  my goal was 27-28 min for the 5K.  I didn't watch pace on the GPS watch, I just slowed myself down when I felt I was starting to speed up.  ended up at about 27:15, which was pretty well on goal. felt OK, didn't strain or push it.  just another 5K in the bank, getting me closer to starting the plan.

crossfit. tabata V ups and sit-ups.  21-18-15: deadlifts and pull ups.  I have been reading some articles and journals about the importance of strength training for runners.  3 main areas to concentrate on: upper body, core, leg muscles that complement running.  today, the pullups, sit ups, and deadlifts worked all 3 areas.  I read a lot of runners work the quads, and maybe the calves, thinking those are prime.  equally important are the muscles that oppose, like the hamstrings and glutes.  which means I need to keep up with the deadlifts and squats. went with deadlift Rx weight of 205#, but I figured I would take it slow and watch my form.  if I felt like i was rounding my back or compromising form, I could strip some weights.  struggled through it. last one done, but i don't give a shit about my time.

2/25/14. coffee. orange. cashews. beef jerky. meatloaf. Kale. wild rice. orange. apple. protein bar. almonds. protein shake.  chili dogs. broccoli salad.  mac and cheese. lots of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment