Monday, February 10, 2014

2/10/14. crossfit. no run.

2/10/14. crossfit. no run. stronger, but slower?  and how my coming weeks will start to flesh out.

seriously, how do you measure growth when you don't repeat the exact same workout with the same parameters?  this morning we did Open workout 12.3.  18 min AMRAP: 15 box jumps, 12 push presses, 9 toes to  bar.  i am still feeling fatigued from last week, so I know I was going slow.  we did this workout a year ago, and I had almost 2 rounds less today than I had a year ago.  but a year ago, i did a few rounds at 95#, then the remaining rounds at 75#.  Also, a year ago, I couldn't hit toes to bar and did knees to elbows (and I'm pretty sure I didn't actually touch knees to elbows).  today I did all rounds at 115#, the Rx weight, and I hit every toes 2 bar.  So although I did fewer rounds and less reps, I was able to put more weight over my every rep.  And although I had fewer rounds, I guarantee the toes 2 bar were harder than the not quite toes to elbows I had last year.  So I guess although my overall rounds went down, my strength is greater.  But I wouldn't call it an unqualified success.  I think the goal ought to be to hit more rounds than last year, but using the weight from this year.  oh well, maybe next year.  but probably not, with this being a major running year, not a strength training year.

5K tomorrow morning, 5am.  I was thinking of a metric to compare my output from week to week.  maybe number of "workouts", assuming a 5K is roughly equiv to a session of crossfit?  Although the long run is harder than a short run, an hour of yoga is not nearly as much output as a 15 min WOD.  So I will score a 5K same as a WOD at 1 "workout" each, but the long run and the yoga combine to make 2 "workouts" (one a little more, one a little less).  So 2 weeks ago I hit 9 workouts in a week (5 crossfit, 2 5Ks, 1 5 mile, 1 yoga).  last week I also hit 9 workouts (4 crossfit, 3 5Ks, 1 10K, 1 yoga).  This week I am going for 10 workouts (5 crossfits, 3 5Ks, 1 10K, 1 yoga). Next week will also be 10. Then the following week will be 11 (5 crossfits, 4 5Ks, 1 10K, 1 yoga).  Hold that an additional week.  then The Plan begins, and all hell breaks loose.

I was in a little bit of denial about my gym time, but it's getting close enough to March 10, that I better face facts.  Hal wants me to take a day of rest on Friday.  But Friday is a 5:30am workout, and I really treasure those.  T goes with me.  I really like everybody in the 5:30am class.  we get a lot of individual attention and training.  but the fact is, a schedule that doesn't have a day of rest is stupid, and establishes an unsustainable pace.  6 days of running a week is tough, believe me, I've been there.  then throw in 5 crossfit WODs.  the yoga is non-negotiable, it helps the long run recovery.  So I need to think big picture here.

So for 30 weeks, starting 3/14, Friday WOD is just going to have to come off the table.  5 regular runs (which include hill repeats, tempo runs, intervals, fartlek, etc), 1 long run, 4 WODs, 1 yoga.  in addition, I can foresee a day when I don't WOD every time I go to the gym.  Might have to drop to more body weight exercises (push ups, pull ups, dips, etc) and some days of just some weight lifting not for time (deads, squats, presses).  i may not be able to keep up for all the Pirates of the Caribbean bullshit every day.

but maybe I'll still go in Friday morning and just work mobility.  I guess as long as the gym still opens, I'll keep my schedule consistent and mob out.  Maybe this will be my chance to really work my way through all the top 10 mobility exercises for runners that I have been wanting to try, per the Supple Leopard himself...


the-10-best-mobility-exercises-for-runners

2/10/14. crossfit. box jumps. push presses. toes 2 bar. NOxplode. protein shake. coffee. almonds. orange. beef stew. apple. almonds. cottage cheese. cashews. sloppy joe. tater tots. corn. arugula salad.

No comments:

Post a Comment