Monday, April 28, 2014

4/26-27. a 5K benefit, a tempo run, and a long run.


Sat morning I ran a 5K benefit run for the Oso Mudslide.  This was not a planned run, and I didn't count it towards my training.  I ran it with my sons and my good friend Jess. Theresa wanted to run it with us, but there was no way to guarantee we would be back in time for her to teach yoga.  I don't count this as training because my plan required a 40 min tempo run, and this was a 5K run at my son's pace.  I will do whatever it takes to support them in their goals to be active, even if it means 2 runs in a day.  I am extremely grateful to Jess.  She ran with Ethan, and encouraged him to do everything he could and he set a new 5K PR of approx 28 min (they actually ran an extra quarter mile or so because the 5K turn around wasn't well marked).  I ran with Alex.  This was his first 5K, and I just wanted to keep him motivated and moving the whole time.  He did it in approx 32 min, which is just awesome.  So proud of my boys, and just grateful to be alive.  Before the run their was a moment of silence.  then amazing grace on the bagpipes, and a rendition of taps.  Between the songs, they ran a bell once for each of the fatalities of the mudslide.  I was OK for the first few, but once they got over 40, and you thought about a human life snuffed out and gone for each chime... well, i choked up a bit.  After the run, I treated the boys to Double Downs for lunch.  tell you what, this really knocked me out for yoga.  i just wanted to lay on the ground and digest...



later saturday I ran a 40 min tempo run.  it was hard to run slow, and hard to run fast.  when I was supposed to run slow, I had to really be vigilant to stay on pace.  I kept creeping up on speed, and catching myself and forcing myself to clamp down on it.  then when fast, it was difficult to maintain that pace.  heaving chest, out of breathe, aching body, just wanted to stop.  ended up with about 4.8 something miles in the 40 minutes.

Sunday was the longish run - 8 miles.  Not fast, not slow, just a longish run.  I felt like I could keep going for a while longer at this pace.  this is probably about as far as i will go without carrying water.  and once the runs get longer, its time to re-introduce gels to get my system used to them.

it was a good weekend, and I am proud of my family.

No comments:

Post a Comment