Sunday, April 13, 2014

4/13/14. 5K "race" day. i set a new 5K PR that will stand for a while...

So today was supposed to be a 5K race.  I understand why Hal calls out periodic races.  to test yourself, and measure your gains.  to get some experience with that "race day" atmosphere.  the crowds, the people, the excitement, the pressure.  running in a big group, breaking free to run your own pace, setting a new PR.  but that being said, i didn't want to shell out $40-$50 to run in some local race.  and there was nothing closer than an hour away today.

so i ran my own race, over at the track.  I had 2 full days of rest and recovery to prepare.  I dressed for the part - a race singlet, my new gray running shorts, my adidas energy boosts.  2 scoops NOxplode, 15 minute warm-up: easy quarter mile lap, followed by some stretching.  then I ran balls out and set myself a new 5K PR.  hot damn, i ran with everything I had today.  finished that one off, heaving and wheezing, huffing and puffing.  left nothing on the table today.  although I had set a new 5K PR last monday on the beach of 24:00, today I ran it out in 21:38.  ran the first mile in 6:45, the second mile in 7:09, the 3rd mile in 7:06, and the last .10 in 0:36.  I was flying, avg pace of 6:59 min/mile, avg speed of 8.6 mph.  I just set a PR that will stand for quite some time (especailly since Hal doesn't call for any more 5K races during the next 24 weeks of The Plan).  feels really good to have knocked that out today.


4/13/14. breakfast sandwich (2 fried eggs, 2 pieces of ham, 2 slices of cheddar cheese, dave's killer bread, toasted). mashed potatoes.  grilled cheese with ham. NOxplode. cashews/peanuts/dried apples.  cheese burger.  caprese salad.  strawberry shortcake.  lots of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment