Sunday, April 20, 2014

4/19-20. "ah, a numbers guy". thus spoke Hal. plus a trail run. and a long run

as usual right now, 2 run weekend.  hard run on saturday, with a long run sunday in tired legs.

but before we get to that.  my good friend Jess is in Boston, right now, and is about to run the Boston Marathon for her second year in a row.  I'm so proud.  but at the Expo, she met Hal Higdon.  The Man.  He had a table set up and she met him.  told him i was running his "personal best" plan, and following it to the "T".  Hopefully she didn't mention my GPS watch data, my journal, my speed vs elevation plots, my incessant fretting about pace, or any of that craziness.  but Hal summed me up in 4 words.  "ah, a numbers guy".  yep, after coaching millions of people, i guess he's seen my type before.  I'm so jealous.  I would love to sit down for 10 minutes with Hal, talk strategy, talk pace, hear some war stories.  hell, i'm at a point in my life i'd rather hang with Hal than Rollins.  Just saying.


4/19. saturday. did my 40 minute fartlek as a trail run.  easy to vary the pace when the elevation and terrain changes so much.  took a pretty good spill towards the end, ass over elbows.  got mud in my ears, came up sprinting.  a few scrapes, no big deal.  man, although I love to run trial, afterwards my ankles, knees, hips, all ache.  in a good way, I guess.

4/20. 7 mile run.  wanted to keep it slow.  the entire family ran the first mile out (then they turned back to make it a 2 miler for them).  The boys and I are running a benefit 5K on saturday (Oso, the town that got wiped off the map by a mudslide a month ago). so they kept me slow for a mile, then i tried to maintain the same pace.  my goal was to finish the run feeling like good run it over again.  and i finished feeling pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment