Thursday, April 17, 2014

4/16/14. interval runs.

yesterday was the first day of intervals.  Hal called for 8 intervals of 200m sprint, each followed by a 200m recovery jog.  warmup mile or so and a cool down mile.  ended up as a 4.5 mile run.  I really wanted to run these on the middle school track that's about a half mile from my house.  easy to stay on course, easy to measure off distance, smooth/uniform surface.  but Track and Field just started up at the middle school.  there were about 100 thronging 12-14 year olds warming up on the track and the field.  I couldn't intrude.  so i kept running towards the flattest spot I know of on my normal run loop. 

it sucked pretty bad.  crumbling sidewalk. curbs. potholes. patches of gravel/sand.  it was a horrible place to try and run really fast.  but i adapted and did my best.  I was generous with the length because the GPS watch isn't exact enough to measure .125 miles.  So my sprints/recoveries ended up at 250m, not 200m.  my average pace for the sprints was about 11mph.  this was hard to sustain for the entire interval, but I did my best.  next week I have 400m intervals.  I may have to wait until after 5pm so i can use the track.

I signed up the boys and I to run in the Oso Community benefit run on 4/26/14. (local community wiped off the map by a mudslide a few weeks ago - this made the local news).  It’s being put on by the Arlington Runners club, and 100% of the registration fees get split between 3 local organizations: Darrington Family Support Services, Oso Mudslide Relief, and Snohomish County Volunteer Search and Rescue.  10K fits better in my training plan, but my boys want to run this with me so it’ll be a slow 5K for the Costanzo family.  I'll call this warm-up.  Then I'll go home and do my training run.  interested?  arlington runners club Oso Benefit 5K/10K

4/16/14. run. intervals. coffee. orange. peanuts. almonds. mexican chicken. corn. brown rice. apple. almonds. peanuts. roast beef sandwich. loaded baked potato. cottage cheese. chocolate. lots of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment