Sunday, March 23, 2014

3/22-23/14. tempo run Saturday, longer run Sunday


3/22. Saturday.  tempo run.  Hal says "A tempo run is a continuous run with a buildup in the middle to near race pace. (Notice I said "near" race pace. You don't want to go faster than your 5-K or 10-K race pace.) In this program, tempo runs are scheduled for Saturdays, alternating with fartlek runs. A tempo run of 30 to 40 minutes would begin with 10-15 minutes easy running, then you gradually accelerate over a period of 10-20 minutes, building to peak speed, then decelerate gradually to finish with 5-10 minutes easy running. The pace buildup should be gradual, not sudden, with peak speed coming about two-thirds into the workout and only for a few minutes. You can do tempo runs almost anywhere: on the road, on trails or even on a track"

first attempt at a tempo run on the road. It's so easy to run intervals or tempo on a treadmill.  just dial it in, turn off your brain, and run just enough you don't go shooting off the back.  the road is much more difficult.  hills, elevation, traffic, terrain, GPS pace/speed lag time.  it was really difficult to do what I wanted.  I really wanted my data to obviously show my pace zones, I'm a little disappointed it wasn't more drastic. but all in all, avg pace of 8:17 min/mile for 4.22 miles was pretty fast. I will use the "lap" function next time, because I ran some number to get some averages based on the data I did have.  I averaged 9:02 min/mile (6.66 mph) for the first and lat 10 minutes, and 7:29 min/mile (8.02 mph) for the middle 15 minutes. so I did what i set out to do, easy 10 minutes, race pace for 15 min, then easy 10 min.


3/23. Sunday.  the longer run.  supposed to be 6 miles, but i went out a little far to make a loop and rounded it up to 10K.  it was an achingly beautiful run. absolutely clear skies, crystal clear blue, bright sun, but still chilly (43 degrees). ran in shorts, and felt fantastic. the air was so fresh and crisp, every deep breath was like a drink of cold water. The trees were blooming, dogwood and cherry blossom.  it was so bright, and so clear, and so colorful.  I wish my body wasn't so weak, and that I could have kept running forever this morning. I didn't want that to end. it hurt to stop.  it felt like it was harder to walk the last cool down home, than it would have been to just keep on running.

Sat. 3/22. tempo run. coffee. scrambled egg. granola/milk. peanut butter toast. rotisserie chicken. peas. polenta. PB&J sandwich. cheese stick. sunflower seeds.  NOxplode. Georgio's: meatball sub and pizza (fresh tomato and sliced meatball), salad. peanut M&Ms. lots of water.
Sun. 3/23. longer run. coffee. Dutch Baby with rasberries and powdered sugar. 4 strips of bacon.  granola/milk.  meatball sub. pizza. Reuben panini sandwich. lots of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment