Friday, March 14, 2014

3/13/14. run. crossfit. 3 miles closer to Berlin

another super busy day yesterday, I am a day late updating my journal.

the run.  up at 4:45am, out the door by 5am, 3 miles down.  not much to say, the run went fine.  heel is manageable, I think its just the new normal (mind over body).  nothing else major going on, pretty average 8:30 min/mile or so.  it was super dark, but not too cold.  running in 40 degrees air temp feels much nicer than jumping into 46 degrees water temp (see yesterday's post regarding the winter challenge).

the workout.  called for running, overhead squats, and double unders.  No chance.  I don't go to the gym to get more running.  overhead squats are not going to keep me strong.  plus, running in nanos combined with DUs will aggravate my heel.  so I did Wednesday's workout, 21-15-9: Kettlebell swings, hang power cleans, hand release push ups.  I worked hard, and it felt good.

Friday - day of rest.  Sat, 30 minutes of speedplay/interval ("fartlek", if you insist on the unfortunate swedish name for it), then 7 miles on Sunday.  will be a hard weekend.

In general, I have been giving some thought to my workouts.  I am thinking if I am cut down to 2 a week, I can't rely on the WOD to give me what I want.  sometimes I get lucky (like the day we had tabata abs and 21-18-15: 205# deadlifts and pull ups.  that was awesome - hit everything I wanted).  I risk that something will come up that is not what I need, and I will have blow half my strength training for the week.  I have tried reviewing all the articles and journals I can find regarding strength training for runners.  they all seems to emphasize core, upper body, and leg muscles complementary to running (hamstrings, glutes, calfs).  So starting next week, here is my plan for the ext few weeks:

Monday
strict press 3x5
push ups or dips 3x10
pull ups 3x10
GHD sit up 3x10
GHD back ext 3x10

Thursday
back squats 3x5
deadlifts 3x5
barbell lunges 3x5 (x leg)
russian twists 3x10
toes 2 bars 3x10

will re-address as time goes by.  I hadn't really given any consideration to how long this might take me, so I may need to add/subtract from this baseline.

3/13/14. run. crossfit. KB swings. hang power cleans. push ups. coffee. orange. almonds. fried chicken. peas. noodles. apple. protein shake. cheesesteak sandwich. crazy hippy salad. dried cherries. lots of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment