Thursday, July 10, 2014

7/9/14. wed. longish run.

who am i kidding? longish run. although its only the mid-week run, the longish run is now practically as long as my actual Long Run ever got during the first 13 weeks of my plan.  7 miles was a long way to go on a wednesday, and it was hot and sunny.  I planned for it though.  I put on sunscreen, I intentionally tried to keep my pace a little slower, and I carried water.  it was hot, and i didn't want the burden of my nathan pack.  but it was just the right distance that i was able to wear my fuel belt which holds (4) eight ounce bottles.  of course I forgot how frustrating the belt is when the bottles are full.  with every step, the weight of the bottles twists and turns the belt on my waist.  then i have to re-adjust it every 2nd or 3rd step.  but by about halfway through i had drank half of each bottle, and then it settled in and didn't migrate as bad.  so i drank about a 4-6 ounces every mile or so, which i think helped keep me going.  i also stuck to the shade whenever possible.  maybe 30-40% of the run, i was able to stick to the side of the street that had trees shading it.  just no shade available for the other half of the time.  i was a hot mess by the time i got home, but i was successful.  I think i have overcome my self-doubt from sunday . I think that with adequate planning and hydration, I can still keep a decent pace in the sun and the heat.  probably not a race pace, but that's just the way it is.

I want to maximize my recovery between wed's run and thursdays run.  with shorter runs in previous weeks, i could knock out wed after work (call it 4pm), then hit thurs before work (call it 5am).  but with a 7 mile and a 4 mile, i need more recovery.  so i will push thurs run to the afternoon, which will keep me out of the gym.  sucks, but its a sacrifice i have to make to enable my running.  I would rather run in the morning before work (cooler, less traffic, just generally more pleasant), but I want the extra hours of recovery before hitting it again.  I hope 24 hours of recovery will help more than 12 hours.  I need to keep running top priority, and make the necessary sacrifices in the near term.

7/10/14. coffee. almonds/peanuts/cashews. steak fajitas. peas. apple. nuts. chicken on crackers. cheeseburger (wheat bun, bbq sauce, lettuce, tomato, blue cheese).  broccoli salad. cucumber salad. salad. national dessert of canada. lots of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment