Friday, July 18, 2014

7/16/14. wed. longish run in some terrible heat.

it was over 80 degrees, and i had a 7 mile run.  thermometer in the shade read 81 degrees.  I suspect that in the sun, especially once you got out of my neighborhood and out into the open, it was probably 83 or so.  wore the fuel belt, fully loaded with 32 ounces of water, sunscreen, and planned on a reduced pace. whenever possible, i crossed the street to catch whatever shade was available.  i don't believe i have ever sweat this much.  i ran through the lobby at the library (approx mile 5) so i could refill my water.  when i stopped moving, i could just feel the heat radiating off my body.  at least when i was running, the airflow over me helped cool me down.  that minute in the library, and i felt like an engine running too hot.  my legs were pretty stiff.  even after the first mile or so, when i usually loosen up, i still felt stiff.  the crazy thoughts that run through your head as you push yourself to keep going when you want to quit.  i imagined the heat of the sun and pounding on the streets is what is forging my legs to be strong like steel.

surprisingly, looking at last wednesday's 7 mile run, my pace was only different by 2 seconds per mile.  last Wed, it was 75 degrees, and i ran 7 in 1:00:14 (moving time) at a pace of 8:36 min/mile.  this wednesday, 83 degrees, my moving time was 1:00:28 (plus an additional 1 minute for stop lights and water re-fill, for an elapsed time of 1:01:24) at an avg moving pace of 8:38 min/mile.  I guess thats pretty consistently my "warm weather" pace.  My saturday 7 mile run when it was approx 65 degrees, was 57:48 moving time (58:49 elapsed time includes a pit stop at the Y to relieve myself), with an avg moving pace of 8:16 min/mile.  interesting to run the exact same route 3 times with approx the same equip and burden, but at mid 60s, mid 70s, and low 80s, all within 1 week.  it looks like the heat factor (difference form 65 degrees to 83 degrees) added about 20 seconds to every mile.  that's useful data, especially when i try to run at "race pace" in elevated temperature.  I suspect that when i run my miles in south carolina this year, the mid 90s early am temp will add approx 30-40 seconds per mile to my cool weather pace.  i'm not sure of the impact of the humidity, though.  we shall see.

after beating my legs in the heat and on the road, i took a cold cold cold shower.  like the blacksmith pounding white hot steel into shape on an anvil, then thrusting it onto cold water to quench it.  I can only trust The Plan, do my best, and trust that it will get me to my goal. 

7/16/14. 7 mile run in the sun.  i am sure i ate a lot of food.  my mileage is higher than it has ever been.  and I drank a ton of water.  at least a gallon, maybe more.

No comments:

Post a Comment