Wednesday, July 30, 2014

7/29/14. tues. run. roll.

on the streets before 0500, knocked out 4 miles.  i won't say it was easy, but it was fairly uneventful.  the sun came up, and it was a beautiful dawn.  the weather was perfect, and i couldn't imagine a better time or a better place to run.  the same usual minor aches and pains, but nothing that would stop me.  after work, the fmaily was headed to the gym, so i went along and worked my mobility.  foam roller, trigger gridpoint, lacrosse ball, bands, the whole 9 yards.  it was good.  i need some wifi at the gym.  i'd like to work some more of KStarr's "10 best mobility exercises for runners", but they are pretty involved.  i need to be able to see him demo while i try it.  maybe i'll work out some sketches and a list to try some more next time.

at least for today, here comes the most important thing I'll write.  this is what i need to say.

this is what i really need to remember, because i had forgotten.  This is the good part.  as tough as it is, as all consuming as it is, as much sacrifice as i am making, this is the peak.  in fact, this is the best part.  this is when I know i am doing my best, and i am throwing myself at this thing full on.  this is the high i need to ride on.  this is when i prove something to myself.  this is when i can rise above, and push myself to more than i ever thought was possible.  this is what i need to keep in mind, to get me through the next 8 weeks and 3 days.

and when this is all over, and my race is run, and i am back in my normal mundane life, i will truly miss this.  it will leave a gaping empty hole in my life.  i know, because i have been there before.  when you don't have a goal, and you're not working a plan, and it isn't on your mind every minute of every day, you feel a little lost.  after you're done, its a little like something has been taken away from you.  you feel like you don't have a purpose.  you crave that feeling again, the desire, the goal, the work.  its an addiction.  i feel sorry that most people will never feel this, that they will never have this in their life.  i can also envy them their easy effortless days, though, sometimes.  but never again.  i want this to never end.  this is the good part.

7/29/14. coffee. orange. cashews/peanuts/almonds. steak. spag/meatballs. peas. apple. nuts. cheese stick. chinese chicken on riced cauliflower. ice cream.  lots of water.

1 comment:

  1. Which reminds me, its time to sign up for another race. =)

    I have been delighting in riding to work lately. I've been out of the house before seven, and the world is quiet and the streets are empty. Right now, the air is cool, but the sky is blue. I'm dreading, somewhat, the arrival of fall, and dark, and cold.

    ReplyDelete