Friday, July 11, 2014

7/10/14. thursday. just a run.

well, discretion is the better part of valor.  as planned, due to the higher miles this week, I skipped the gym and ran in the afternoon. benefits were saving a little energy, and maximizing my recovery time (wed run was 4pm, and i felt a thurs AM run at 5am was too aggressive this week).  I ran from the gym so that I could get a little extra time with my family squeezed in (they worked out while I ran).  plus everett is so flat, it was easier miles in the heat.  it was approx 77-80 degrees.  only 4 miles, so I wore my fuel belt with only 2 out of 4 bottles loaded.  still annoying how it twists around my waist while running, but manageable.  i literally ran in the bare minimum i could, that wouldn't get me arrested for streaking.  caught some abuse at the gym for my running shorts (1" inseam race shorts), but i have no shame and i will sacrifice my self-esteem on the altar of speed.  and its just a little bit cooler with less clothes on.  whether it was the flat run, or the water, or maybe even just the lingering goodness of my sports massage on monday, but i actually ran quite fast.  4 miles in roughly 32 minutes, approx 8 min miles.  i felt good doing it, and i didn't feel sore at all afterwards.  since i finished up my run back at the gym, i hit the foam roller for a while and rolled out my quads, calfs, glutes, and outside of hips/legs.  it was a good run.  15 miles in 3 days, mid-week, was a big number for me. 

a day of rest friday, then its off the deep end with 7 on sat and 14 on sunday. longest run in over a year, big deal to run those kinds of miles on back to back days, and I'm a little worried about the predicted temps (upper 80s, low 90s, very sunny, "excessive heat watch" posted by the national weather service).

Saw this "pee chart" on the web the other day from Nathan hydration systems (I use their HPL 020 hydration pack).  for all my outdoor running friends, and especially Jess headed towards the Tunnel Marathon on sunday, be careful and stay hydrated.

No comments:

Post a Comment