Tuesday, July 8, 2014

7/7/14. Monday. strength 1. a little leg work at the massage therapist.

hit the gym at 5:30am.  6 people, which is a big class for 5:30 on a monday.  I stayed out of their way, did my standard monday workout, no real issues.  kept weights constant from previous week, felt fine.  this is a big week for miles.  this one will be telling, whether I have the energy to stay in the gym and still run my miles.  special attention this week - I'm going to get 8 hours of sleep every night, and I am going to drink a gallon of water ever day.  that's the plan.  its a little tough to go to bed at 9pm, when the wife and kids are staying up later, but that's what it is going to take.  the fact is, in order to have enough time in the day, i get up at 4:40-5:00am, everyday.  if i want enough sleep, then i need to go to bed.  early.  fact.

hit the massage therapist after work.  this was only my 3rd massage ever.  the first was after the tunnel marathon (recovery), the second was about a year ago when i was having some lower back stiffness/tightness (deal with an issue), and then yesterday (regular maintenance).  kind of a unique setup - this is a LMP I know (she has judged at a local crossfit event with me), and she has her practice set up at that same crossfit gym.  i think she has a good perspective on crossfit and athletics in general, as well as a good background working with runners.  I know she has worked many races and marathons in the area, providing sports massage and working on cramped/injured runners.  plus she is a powerlifter, and strong as hell.  i trust her to know what she is doing, and to be strong enough to really put some work into my muscles.  I elected to spend the entire hour working my legs.  special attention to some areas that have been giving me trouble.  left hip/IT band, right calf (tightness that may or may not contribute to my right foot/heel issues). felt great, but i don't expect overnight results.  i think this is something i will try to do once a month until Berlin.  just another facet of The Plan, just regular maintenance.  as an aside, if anyone needs a recommendation for a great LMP with crossfit/lifting experience that works with athletes and runners, let me know.

7/7/14. protein shake. coffee. orange. almonds/cashews. 2 sausages. 3 potatoes. tomato/kale/crouton salad. apple. protein bar. turkey/cheese. cornmeal breaded fish. pickled okra (i'm not a fan). salad. some kind of home made chocolate bar (Nanaimo bar?  i hear its the national dessert of canada).  lots of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment