Monday, July 7, 2014

7/6/14. 15K "race".

supposed to be a 15K (9.3 mile) "race".  this was not a good run for me.  in fact, it may have been my worst run ever.  I expected to go into this and just knock it out easily with an awesome time.  I think I did not respect the distance, and i surely did not respect the heat.  i got my ass handed to me, and I'm not afraid to admit it.

since i typically hit the centennial trail for my "race" days, my older son came along to ride a bike with me.  so i left the ipod at home so as not to be rude.  that was a mistake.  i think i dwelled on how shitty the run was, when maybe the music would have distracted me.  I came out of the gate too fast, similar to the pace I ran my 5 mile and 10K at, but this was a longer run than those.  I didn't carry my water, thinking it was only 9 miles.  i have run that distance without water before.  but it was mid 70s, full exposure to the sun, at peak sun hours of the day (about noon).  I roasted.  forgot my sunscreen, and burned for it.  I kept stopping in the shade and drinking some of my son's water.  every time i stopped, it was an incredible struggle to try and start to run again.  just brutal.  for the last 4 miles, I would run a mile, then stop, drink, walk for a minute, then start running again.  so hard to continue.  I hadn't bothered with Glide yet, since it seemed like my mileage was still low (under a half marathon).  combination of heat/sweat/shorts gave me some inner thigh chafing about halfway in.  just added to my anguish.

i was hating my run, and it shook my faith.  I am going into a big week.  36 miles is the most i have ever run in a week (while training for my first marathon).  I have 36 this week, and it actually goes up from there.  i had some self doubt sunday afternoon.  but even for all that stopping and walking, my overall pace was still 8:30 min/mile.  I finished in 1:19:06, of which only 1:15:54 was actually moving.  when I did run, i ran pretty fast (8:10 min/mile), but i was weak and i lost my mojo and i walked.  but i can't let this crush me.  compartmentalize it, put it behind me, and move on.  i was flipping through some books on Sunday afternoon.  I saw this dedication inside a martial arts book, "get knocked down 7 times, get up 8 times"  well, i was knocked down on sunday, but i got back up.  I'm not going to quit, and I am going to give my long runs and races the respect they deserve.  Here's to a long week...

No comments:

Post a Comment