Friday, May 16, 2014

rest day. "on the move" challenge

rest day.  i went to the gym this morning at 5:30am with my wife.  I rolled out, and stretched, and did some general lower body mobility work.

so we are having an "on the move" challenge at work.  6 weeks long.  if you log your steps at least once a week, and average a min of 13,000 steps per day, you will win a $100 Amazon gift certificate.  all physical activities can be converted into steps.  Just like last year, I will have no problem cashing in on this.  Hell, I'm already training for a friggen marathon. just track/log the activities I already have planned, and ka-ching, money in the bank.  but i saw this as my opportunity to try and make a difference in some of my co-workers.  i gave a presentation about this challenge at our bi-weekly team meeting.  and i followed up with an email and lots of personal communication.  i formed a team group, and I invited everybody.  so far, about half the group has signed up.

i singled out the guy that sits next to me.  i know he wants to make a change in his life.  like i was about 3 years ago - middle-aged, over-weight, declining health, bad diet.  he has increasing cholesterol, blood pressure, etc.  I know he has had some health issues developing.  so I challenged him to train up and run a 5K on July 4th.  the yankee doodle dash, which was my first 5K, 3 summers ago.  the first even in my life and I made a lifestyle change.  I created an 8 week 0-5K training plan for him, based on Hal's 5K novice plan.  I sent him the link to register for the run.  I said I would run the race with him, if he followed through with it.  Will he follow through?  can this be the start of a change?  will a 5K be a gateway drug, like it was for me? or am i just a freak?  I guess time will tell.  I would like to be able to provide a positive influence in someone else's life, to give to them what has been given to me.  but to lead by example, and see who can follow.  or surpass. 

thinking of my best friend Manuel today, and thinking of the postitive influence he has had on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment