Monday, May 5, 2014

"race" day. 5 miles in 36:24.

5/2-4/14.  2 days of rest for a 5 mile "race"

Hal wanted me to run a 5 mile/8K "race" on Sunday. so i had my 2 days rest, and prepped like it was race day. wore my 70s style teardrop running shorts, my adidas energy boost race shoes. 2 scoop NOxplode. it was perfect weather for a fast run - 52 degrees, overcast, light rain. I wanted a long, relatively flat, easy run, so I drove out to Snohomish so I could run the Centennial Trail (30 mile long "sidewalk" through the countryside, converted as part of the rails 2 trails project).  I ran several long runs here for my first marathon, and I will likely be back for my longest runs while trailing this year. 

I ran a warm-up 400m, stretched, then just kicked it into gear and ran a fast 5 miles.  I ended up clocking it at 36:24. avg moving pace 7:17 min/mile, avg moving speed 8.2 mph. this was a hard run. I actually came out of the gate a little too fast (ran the first mile in under 7 min), but settled down into a sustainable pace after about a quarter mile.  looking at the data, you can see the initial speed, then the gradual settling in on a steady pace. i guess this is why we do this, to learn from your body, and learn the difference between 5K day and 5 mile day. this helps me learn how fast I can ran in a sustainable pace, with different goals in mind.  I feel like this was fast.  this was hard, but it was fun.  in a few weeks comes a 10K.  then in summer a 15K, and then in august a half.  all steps along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment