Monday, May 19, 2014

5/17-18/14 yoga, tempo run, long run

5/17/14. saturday.  went to the Everett Y with T and did the yoga class she taught.  it was the biggest class I ever saw her teach, close to 30 people.  she did great, she's a real pro.  she has come a long way with her teaching, and seems very confident.  I tried hard in class.  I still have some lower back stiffness that I want to try and clear up before it gets worse.  Saturday was a tempo run.  a word about tempo run.  I really cannot do it as prescribed.  Hal says "A tempo run is a continuous run with a buildup in the middle to near race pace. (Notice I said "near" race pace. You don't want to go faster than your 5-K or 10-K race pace.) A tempo run of 30 to 40 minutes would begin with 10-15 minutes easy running, then you gradually accelerate over a period of 10-20 minutes, building to peak speed, then decelerate gradually to finish with 5-10 minutes easy running. The pace buildup should be gradual, not sudden, with peak speed coming about two-thirds into the workout and only for a few minutes."  Seriously?  gradually accelerate over 10-20 minutes.  that's ridiculous.  especially when running up/down hills.  curbs, street crossings, traffic, etc.  I cannot gradually run faster as described.  so instead I run slow for 10 minutes, run faster for the middle, then slow again for the final 10 minutes.  I imagine my tempo pace should look flat line, then slope up, then slope down, then flat again.  instead, i try to run a step function.  flat, then flat but faster, then flat and lower again. ended up with 5.48 miles in 45 minutes:

then sunday was the longish run.  6 miles doesn't really seem to count as a long run, but its what I was told to do.  I went out a little long, so I hit the lap button at 6 and went another .22 to round it off at 10K.  pace didn't feel terrible (8:25 min/mile), i probably could have kept going for a while longer at this pace.  weather was good. sun was shining.  felt hot in the sun, cool in the shade.  probably mid to upper 50s.  nice day for it.

kept my "sweat rate" data both days.  saturday's tempo run was hotter and harder, lost 1.21 liters/hour.  sunday's longish run was cooler and easier, lost 1.04 liters/hour.  so with 3 data points, i'm averaging 1.13 liters/hour of water loss.  crazy.

No comments:

Post a Comment