Tuesday, June 3, 2014

6/2/14. monday. strength 1.

nothing special today.  back in the gym for strength 1.  no run planned today.  this was just one of those days when you just get into the gym and follow the plan.  nothing spectacular, wasn't too enthused, just staying on plan and trying to do some lifting.  this was my first set of pull-ups since Murph.  seemed especially tough, but this must have just been mental.  its been a week, so I am sure I am recovered physically.  Strict Presses, pull ups, bench presses, GHD sit ups, GHD back ext.

read an interesting article linked by crossfit everett this morning.  my main take away from this was a nice summary of the "basics" that need representation in your regular training plan. (from http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=5795651 )
1. Look for Gaps.  In programming, I keep my eye on two basic concepts that open the way for a third. First, I'm all about looking for gaps in training. Gaps consist of anything you should be doing, but aren't doing. Here's my list of the fundamental human movements: Push, Pull, Hinge, Squat, Loaded Carry, (Everything Else).

So I think I am hitting the Push (strict presses, bench presses, push ups), the Pull (pull ups), the Hinge (deadlifts), the Squat (back squats), Everything else (weighted lunges, sit ups, back ext, toes to bars, russian twists).  I think I would like to work in some farmer carries to cover the Loaded Carry.  I also want to work in some bench rows (another Pull).  Seems reasonable to me.  I also want to learn how to use the Rogue Reverse Hyper we have in the gym.  I think it might help my hamstrings.  I am really feeling like I need that 3rd day in the gym.  things are too busy this week with the family (orchestra concert, little league games).  Starting next week I'm going to add the 3rd day and keep it up for as long as i have energy (maybe until the miles really start to add up on a weekly basis).

6/2/14. Strength 1. protein shake. coffee. orange. almonds/peanuts/cashews. shishkabob (beef, peppers, onions, mushrooms) and noodles. apple. nuts. shrimp/tomatoes/orzo. salad. cherry pie. lots of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment