Monday, June 16, 2014

6/14-15/14. sat. sun. 5 mile pace run. yoga. 6 mile sunday.

6/14/14. Saturday. Hal called for a 5 mile pace run.  in a pace run, you try to maintain the pace you want to be able to hold for your longest distance run, someday.  My goal was to run my 5 miles at a steady pace of 8 min/mile.  but i also wanted to run it without watching the pace on my GPS watch.  i wanted to just see if i could hold a steady faster pace without constant input/reinforcement.  i just wanted to go out, run 5 miles at what felt like a pretty hard pace (but not as fast a 5 mile race pace), and see what I held.  when i wrapped it up, my average moving pace was actually 7:32 min/mile.  a little faster than my goal, but not too bad and I didn't feel horrible afterwards.  so i can call the 5 mile pace run a success.  It was absolutely perfect weather for a fast run.  52 degrees, 93% humidity, cool steady mist that kept you from overheating.  just a good run.  then i followed it up with about 20 minutes of foam rolling and an hour of yoga at the gym.  nice class, 5 of us, just right.  yoga really helps me with my recovery time.


6/15/14. sunday.  father's day.  Hal called for a 6 mile run.  T rode her mountain bike and kept me company.  i kept my pace slow enough so i could talk while running.  this is exactly what Hal says to do (maintain a training pace where you can comfortably have a conversation while running) but i never have anyone to talk to.  so this was really nice.  I dropped 5 mg of L Glutamine about 30 minutes prior to the run . I wasn't expecting the run to be traumatic, so I didn't really expect the L Glutamine to really help my recovery much, but i was more interested in whether my body could handle it with no issues.  everything was fine.  I think next sunday's run is long enough to carry water and gu and an L Glutamine capsule.  i guess its about time to start practicing the techniques I will need in Berlin.  use my long run days to prepare for actual hydration/supplementation while running.

so this wrapped up a decent weekend, but these were still short runs.  this is a big step up week coming - next calls for a 6 mile saturday and an 11 mile sunday.  I fear for the worst.

No comments:

Post a Comment