Tuesday, August 26, 2014

8/23-25/14. Sat - fast 5 miles. Sun - long slow 20 miles. Mon - bodyweight workout

still on Plan, and getting the journal caught up.  the god new is that my friend Randy is home.  no official word on what happened, but honestly, it doesn't really matter.  he's with his family and his friends and that is what does matter.

8/23/14. Sat. The Plan called for a fast 5 miles.  based on how my tues/thurs 5 mile runs went, i thought i ought to be able to keep this one under 40 minutes.  i went ahead and had a 2 scoop NOXplode before i ran.  i have weaned myself off the pre-workout boost, but every once in a while I break it out.  you forget how it makes you just buzz, makes you want to vibrate in place, the roar in your ears and the tingling in your face.  like lighting the match on a stick of dynamite.  needless to say, i took off running.  my moving time of 38:52 gave me an average moving pace of 7:46 min/mile.  tell you what, this felt fast, and I was proud to get this one logged.  i am glad to hold this pace in the middle of a high mileage week.  T taught yoga after my run, and i was glad to get in there and get stretched out.  I noticed my right foot (the one with the painful heel/arch) was really stiff and gave me some trouble with some poses.  I need to continue to roll/ice that one.

8/24/14. Sun. 20 miles.  this is right in the thick of it.  this is the 2nd high mileage week that is a part of the peak of the plan (3 high mileage weeks in a 5 week period), and this is the longest distance i will run before Berlin.  i headed out to the Centennial Trail so i could run straight out and back with as few interruptions and difficulties as possible.  i started at the Machias Trailhead, and ran further north than i have ever gone.  although it was only 10 miles out, it felt like i was halfway to canada.  the weather was fantastic, maybe a little too sunny/warm for a great run, but it was good.  this just shows the effect of heat/humidity - last weekend was supposed to be a 13.1 mile "race" when i was at SC.  this weekend, i covered 13.1 at a faster pace than i did in my "race" last week, and then continued on to finish the 20 miles.  i should quit beating myself up over that 13.1 I ran in the heat and humidity, and just move on.  after reading up on the subject, i realize i was had been bordering on heatstroke in SC. I remember at one point last week i kind of lost track of where i was (which i just attributed to running an unfamiliar road), and even though it was over 80 degrees i remember getting goosebumps and feeling chilled at one point.  but that's long in the past.  moving on, all i can do it think about the next run and be as ready as possible.  to be honest, 3 hours on the run is a long time to run and think, and i spent a lot of that time on sunday worried about Randy and Angela.  although i'm not particularly close to Randy, it had me very upset.  but here is the deal - i need to be able to partition my life from my training, partition my emotions from my intellect.  i need to get on the road and be The Tip of the Spear.  and these painful runs are getting me hard, getting me sharp.

8/25/14. monday.  bodyweight workout day.  after the high mileage week, i felt so weak in the gym.  i did 7 rounds of cindy (5 strict pullups, 10 pushups, 15 squats), and it took me a long long time.  it was slow and difficult.  about on track though.  i remember speculating how my workouts would naturally ramp down as my miles ramped up.  and it has happened as expected.  from 5 WODs a week, to 3 lifting days a week, to 2 lifting days a week, to 1 bodyweight day a week.  i am following the plan religiously, as far as miles and pace, but i am letting my body guide my workouts.  i hate to get weak again, but I just need to see this through.

33 and a wake-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment