Wednesday, August 20, 2014

8/19/14. tuesday. 5 mile run, sports massage.

still having trouble adjusting to the time change.  i intended to get up at around 0500 or so, but i woke up early and headed out early.  i was on the streets by 0435.  i tell you what, tues/thurs are my "short" run days, and they are now locked in at 5 miles for the next 4 weeks (until the taper begins).  how crazy is that, that my short runs will not go less than 5 miles?  the days are definitely shorter; it was pitch black when i left, and the sky was barely getting lighter, kind of purple, when i got back.  it was a fantastic run - 62 degrees, dark, no humidity, light breeze. just running along the trees, it smelled fantastic.  if you have never been hiking/running in the pacific northwest forest, then i cannot describe this fresh alive evergreen forest smell.  the air is so so clear and crisp.  it just makes me feel good to breathe, it gives me energy, and it improves my outlook.  it was great to be back on my own ground.  and as i finished up, there was a really light sprinkle of rain, just to cool me off and welcome me back.  after a mile or so my heel/arch numbed up, and things went fine.  it was so good to be back, and it made me wish i was running trail.  as far as running goes, i will take the pacific northwest forest over the south atlantic coast any day of the week.  of course, winter in SC is pretty darn mild compared to the rain and cold i endured.  but i'm happy with what i have.

after work i had a sports massage.  i had pre-scheduled this one (to be right in the middle of my high mileage weeks) and one more coming up the week before I leave for Berlin.  I asked M to concentrate on my lower body - glutes, quads, calfs, etc.  she really worked that heel/arch that's been painful the last 2 days.  this was tough to take, but all in all it was a good massage.  i felt relaxed and limber afterwards.  and oiled up like a gladiator.  if anyone want a recommendation for a licensed massage therapist with lots of crossfit/lifting/strongwoman experience, just ask me.  She has worked a lot of big races around here (providing massage therapy after the race) and is really familiar with runners and their issues.  she works out of a local crossfit gym, and I can't say enough good things about her.

looking at The Plan, I realized something.  my high mileage week 2 weeks ago (44 miles), this week (43 miles), and 2 weeks from now (43 miles) are the peak of my training.  this is it.  this is what i have been building up to.  this is the highest mileage i will run.  a hard weekend coming, and then two weeks from now another hard one.  and then that's it, the taper begins.  i can't believe its getting close enough to think about the end game.  i just have to get through these coming 3 weeks.

5 weeks and 4 days.

No comments:

Post a Comment