Saturday, September 27, 2014

9/27/14. Saturday. The last 2 miles...

Well, that's it. I ran my last 2 miles. That's as far as Hal will get me. The rest of the way, I am on my own.

There was a breakfast run from the castle to the Olympic stadium this morning with a breakfast provided. But it was longer than my plan called for, and would have left me about 10km from the hotel. Nothing insurmountable, but I felt it wasn't worth it. I have done too much walking around and exploring the last few days and my legs are already knotted up and sore. Best to stick to the plan and run my short last run.

The roads near the marathon route are closed off this morning because they are having an in-line skating version of the marathon today. I guess it's a big deal, but not quite as big as the marathon itself. So I ran a very scenic river walk path along the river Spree. It was a beautiful morning, sunny and cool, maybe 55 degrees at most.  Just fantastic conditions. Not crowded at all.  I just wanted to keep on going and see what was around the next bend. Over and over. When I hit the 1 mile mark, it was difficult to turn back. I know I will likely never have the chance to see what was around the next curve in the river. Such is life.

I felt pretty good running.  Winded myself a little, but I think I was running too fast. The excitement and the taper made me just want to go go go. I should have no trouble with this tomorrow though.  With 40000 people running, probably 30000 of them in front of me, I will have no chance to burn up out of the gate.  I anticipate at least 15-20 km of elbow to elbow crowd.  I hope it moves along at a pace faster than a walk. I really do so much better on my own.

This is the last entry in my training journal, before then hammer comes down.  This has been an incredible experience, and the last 11 months have just rocketed by. I can't believe I'm here, and I can't believe it's come down to this.  Less than 24 hours until I give it my all.

Part animal, part machine, remain calm, prepare to destroy.

Just a wake-up. 0 miles to the start line.

No comments:

Post a Comment