Friday, September 12, 2014

9/11/14. 5 miles in everett.

sometimes i get this cause/effect syndrome where i might associate two completely unrelated events, and stick with it.  sometimes i can seem unreasonable, but its just an idiosyncrasy.  the last 2 times i had a big flare-up of my heel/instep pain, i was wearing my blue adidas supernova glides (which i have already noted that the foam/cushioning is shot).  my foot was nagging me throughout the day, i even iced it and rolled it on and off all day at work.  i have convinced myself that my worn out shoes are contributing to the problem.  the one day i wore my new shoes from MB, my foot was bad and got much worse.  so when i started getting ready for my run, i put on the new shoes i bought in MB.  1 trial lap around the cul-de-sac, and they felt horrible too.  so i dug deep, deep into the shoe pile in teh closet.  out came my old adidas supernova sequences.  seriously, these are old.  i ran my marathon PR at the tunnel in these shoes.  i put them on, and it was like heaven.  so good.  my feet felt so wrapped and cushioned and protected.  they look terrible - like a homeless person.  and they smell bad, like a hobo peed in them (not far off the truth, if you know what it means to run a marathon for time).  but they felt great.  and my foot felt better after my run than it did before i started. 

so that's it.  i'm convinced my training shoes are hurting me.  the (2) pairs of glides are going to the knacker.  the shoes from MB are going back on the shelf.  i'm going to wear the ancient adidas sequences for now.  and i ordered a new pair of sequences last night.  the sequence 7's just came out, and running warehouse had a single pair of the sequence 6's in my size for like $70.  score.  and they have free 2 day shipping.  double score.  i'm so excited.  not the color i would have chosen, but i hope they feel/fit good...

but the run through everett, from the gym?  it was awesome.  weather was perfect.  mid 60s, cool breeze, sunny. great views along grand view, as always. the port of everett, the sound, the mountains.  it invigorates me to run this route.  and its so flat, my time always looks good.  i ran the 5 in under 40 min, avg pace of 7:57 min/mile.  and the really old shoes felt good.  just shoes, shorts, ipod, GPS watch, and me.  it was a good one.

16 and a wake-up.

No comments:

Post a Comment