Sunday, August 3, 2014

8/2-3/14. Sat and Sunday. A longish run, and nothing on Sunday.

8/2/14. Saturday. My first east coast training run. 8 miles along ocean drive, through surfside beach and garden city beach. I hit the road at 6am, and it went better than expected. Although it was hot (over 80 degrees, even in the dark) and humid (over 80%), the absolute flatness of the route made up for it. I never felt like I was pushing it too hard, and I still averaged 8:26 min/mile. Very overcast, and I never really saw the sun. It sprinkled a little, and there were thunderstorms over the ocean. It was actually really humbling to see the awesomess of the storm out over the ocean, to see lightning arcing down into the ocean and hear the thunder rumbling while I was running. I was glad to test myself against south carolina heat/humidity and find out I could do it.

8/3/14. Sunday. Bad bad bad. It's some kind of tropical monsoon out there. Its raining so hard the streets are flooding. I can't run in this. I'm really angry, and frustrated, and I feels powerless. I feel like I'm being weak-willed for not running anyways, for being too scared to do what I'm supposed to do. I feel like this is going to derail my plan. If I slide my long run to tomorrow, I will lose my rest day. Headed into the highest mileage week of the whole plan, of my whole life, without a rest/recovery day is stupid. But there's nothing else I can do. 17 miles on a treadmill is unspeakable. But if it comes down to it, and this hasn't cleared up by tomorrow, that may be my only choice. It's hard to compromise, and hard to accept a decision that I keep second-guessing. This sucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment