Thursday, May 22, 2014

5/21/14. interval runs.

after 6 days running in a row.  I am really feeling fatigued.  my legs are sore and tired.

5/21/14. interval runs.

last day of intervals.  starting next week, the plan transitions from speedwork to more miles.  so although my days running will go down from 6 to 5 per week, my miles will start to increase.  typical Hal - roughly 3 weeks steadily increasing, then 1 week cut back and recovery.  then repeat the cycle...

not sure how i feel about this.  in retrospect, i kind of enjoyed the idea of hill repeats and intervals, in a masochistic self-flagellating sort of way.  i really feel that they have improved my speed and given me some new insights into what i a capable of.  but at some point, i need to be prepared to run the longer distances.  so the long run will be king.  unlike my last marathon training plan, this one will have me running back to back sat/sunday.  a little faster, maybe race pace, on sat for a "longish" run, then a long run on sunday on tired legs.  it will be tough.

so going into the intervals last night was kind of bittersweet.  the usual dread and mental anguish, but also a little relief knowing it was last time i would run a 400m interval set.  8 sets was pretty tough.  a really blew it all out and ran hard on my last interval, wanted to prove i could go faster on the last one (avg'd 5:54 min/mile for the last 400m sprint).  looking at my HR recovery plot, I think i was recovering better than ever before.  so if you heart is a muscle, and exercise increases strength, i think i have seen some quantifiable benefits from my speed work.  here's the data:

coming up next week, nothing but miles. 

5/20/14. coffee. orange. nuts. shikabob beef/peppers/tomatoes/onion/mushroom. bread. beef stew. cottage cheese.  granola/milk. spaghetti/meatballs. salad. chips/salsa.  lot of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment