Tuesday, May 27, 2014

5/17-19/14 Saturday Sunday Monday. 10K and Murph...

5/17-19/14 Saturday Sunday Monday

Saturday.  extra day of rest.  hal calls for a 10K race on sunday, so he gave me a rest day on saturday.

Sunday.  10K "race" day.  prepped like a real race day.  up early, ate a big breakfast, hydrated well.  wore my race shorts and my adidas energy boosts.  went out to the Centennial Trail in Snohomish, so I wouldn't have to worry about elevation or traffic or curbs or anything.  just run out 5K, turn around and run back.  2 scoop NOxplode. easy quarter mile jog, followed by some stretching and loosing up.  then I flipped the switch and ran like hell.  I pushed a little hard on this one, and I set a new 10K PR for myself.  6.22 miles in 45:51.  I think I could have probably pulled it out a little faster at the end, but all in all i put a lot into it.

Monday.  Memorial Day.  Murph.  if you are reading my journal, then you probably already know me, and you probably know what Murph is.  but anyways, Murph is a crossfit Hero WOD, dedicated to Navy Lt Michael Murphy, who gave his life in Operation Red Wings in Afghanistan, trying to save his team.  If you've seen the movie "Lone Survivor", then you know about Michael Murphy.  anyways, this was a workout he did to stay in shape when he was in the field and didn't have a gym.  he did it in body armor, so a lot of people do it in a 20# weight vest.  Not me, though.  it was hard enough with my own body weight.  Murph was: 1 mile run, 100 pullups, 200 push ups, 300 squats, 1 mile run.  I did the first mile in 7:15 or so, and the last mile in 7:40.  but the in between?  it took me 49 minutes to knock out the pullups, pushups, and squats.  so a 64 minute total for Murph.  it was pretty terrible, and i will probably remember this for a few days.  but the whole family went.  T did it faster than me (she is awesome), and E did the half Murph,  he used a band for his assisted pullups, but he kicked ass and I'm proud of him for doing this.  A was fighting off a bad cold and sat this out.  no worries. it was gloomy and rainy and a fairly miserable run to finish up Murph.  but its over now, and I'm so glad I did this.  I'm proud of my family and I'm glad we did this together.

No comments:

Post a Comment