Thursday, May 15, 2014

5/14/14. interval day.

200m intervals.  sprint 200m, recovery jog 200m.  12 rounds.  with a half mile warm-up/cool-down run from home to the track (and back).  this was really tough.  the sun was bright and it was hot.  approx 75 degrees at 5pm.  intervals are mentally challenging, as well as being physically difficult.  i just have a sense of impending doom, just a uneasy dread as I approach the track.  its so tempting to just delay and stall.  and then during the intervals themselves, its so hard to approach the start line from a recovery jog, and intentionally run hard again.  it would be so much easier not to do it.  one way I mentally tricked myself was to think about it as 200m being shorter and easier than the 400m from last week.  but then since I should be running them faster since its shorter, in the end its just as hard.  12 is a large number, but i stuck with it and tried to keep my sprints as consistent as possible.  my 200m sprint split paces avg'd out to 5:33 min/mile (10.8 mph).  for comparison, when I ran 7x400m intervals last week, my avg sprint pace was 6:00 min/mile (10mph).  although it ended up with similar total distance for the runs, it makes sense that i could sustain a paster pace over a shorter distance this week.  this week's data looks pretty decent.  unfortunately I forgot my HR monitor. 

after dinner, i treated the family to DQ Blizzards while watching Survivor.  I think interval day in the hot sun deserves a Blizzard, although i did keep it down to a small one...

5/14/14. coffee. oranges. almonds/peanuts. coconut chicken. ramen. peas. apple. almonds/peanuts. granola. grilled pork tenderloin. roasted potato wedges. buffalo chicken cauliflower with blue cheese dressing. salad.  reese's peanut butter cup blizzard.  lots of water.

No comments:

Post a Comment