Sunday, December 29, 2013

Day 3, Sun, 12/29/13. Day of rest. But about the long run....

Regularly scheduled day of rest today.

But I'm dwelling on yesterday's long run, and planning for my training. LSD seems to the recommended strategy. Long, Slow, Distance. Hal says to run your long runs at a pace 30-90 seconds longer per mile than your race pace. But i want a new race pace. I want a race pace faster than my last marathon. So I wonder if that means my long run pace should be my old race pace? I don't know if that will help me, or hurt me. Right now I don't even look at my pace while I'm running. I just run at what feels easy. I'm only trying to get back in the fold right now. But I am alway thinking about March 10, and starting the real plan.

Sometimes, I just want to say "Hal, you're an old man and you don't know shit. I should run faster than the last run, every time I run. How else can I show progress?". Its hard to think long term and trust a strategy that I haven't proved yet.  But I know Hal has a lot of experience, and has run hundreds of marathons and trained millions of people. I just need to put my trust in the plan, follow the plan, and let the plan take care of me.

When I'm not running, I wish I was out there. When I'm running, I just wish that shit was over and I think about how stupid I am for doing this.

Tonight I am going to judges training for Cretus (local crossfit competition). Should be a real good time - an exciting show and fun to be a part of this event. Can't write about the events though, I'm sworn to secrecy.

12/29/13. Day of rest. Coffee. Ham and cheese omelette. Orange. Water. Apple fritter.  Ham and cheese sandwich. Coffee. Meat/cheese/crackers. Apple. Chili. Cornbread.

1 comment:

  1. I don't think Hal Higdon is the end-all-be-all of running training. I know a bunch of local running folks, and they could probably recommend some local coaches or weigh in on strategy.
    My guess is that, for now, you should run at the pace that you are comfortable with, and that doesn't leave you too gassed at the end of a run. If you over do it this early, you'll know by the next time out and adjust, but still have time for it not to effect the over all goal. I'm guessing you probably can PR again, with this long of a run-up, and that your biggest risk is over-thinking and over-stressing.

    ReplyDelete