Saturday, December 28, 2013

day 2, Sat, 12/28/13. the long run. or how i'd rather do anything else than run long today...

Saturday, long run day. told myself I would do a 10K today. especially hard to go out on the run on Saturdays.  the boys do crossfit teens, so I take the whole family to the gym and run from there.  I find myself warming up with them, stalling, talking to people, anything to avoid hitting the road.  I imagine someone will walk in the door and say "joe, exactly who I was looking for, I really need you to come and..." do anything.  anything at all.  "shovel rocks." move furniture".  "fight zombies".  "sweep fish heads out of the gutter".  "chase a rooster down the street".  "hold this baby".  anything besides the long run.

so i gave myself a carrot on a stick.  i allowed myself an extra powdered energy drink to get psyched up for the long run.  when I get that familiar buzzing in my ears, and my face feels flushed, and I feel the need to just vibrate, I know its time to hit the road.  when I hit the turn-back point for a 5 mile run, it was hard to keep going (wanted to do 6.22).  then inspiration came on the ipod, in the form of Freebird by Skynyrd.  That shit just makes me think of the closing scene from the Devil's Rejects.  so glad i kept going.  After I went through Legion Park, i took a different route, and ran down marine drive through the Everett marina and waterfront.  so awesome today.  the gloom parted, the sun came out.  the sky was so blue, the clouds were so white, and the water was so beautiful.  The Puget Sound looked as incredible as it has ever appeared.  I wish I could show it to someone.  anyone.  temperature was perfect (high 40s).  just a fantastic run and a good day to be alive.

after, I made my perfect recovery drink.  2 scoops vanilla protein powder, mixed with weak orange gatorade.  tastes like a goddam orange creamsicle.  so good.

after running, I rolled out and stretched for 45 minutes, then I took my wife's yoga class.  she teaches a free yoga class at our gym on Saturdays.  she started doing it as her "final project" for certification training, to teach a series of 3 classes.  but now its 6 months later, and as long as anyone still shows up, she loves to keep teaching it.  I joke that I only stay for it because she's my wife and the loving is cut off if I don't stay, but in reality I need the mobility work more than anyone else.  I'm glad she does this.  I'm proud of her.

12/28/13.  10K run, avg pace 8:51 min/mile.  1 hour yoga.  coffee, homemade egg mcmuffin, C4 Extreme, gatorade, protein shake, 2 cups egg/sausage/cheese/bread casserole, 2 fried eggs, water, orange, chipotle chicken on wheat, arugula salad, roasted broccoli... and I am planning on a few cocktails later.


No comments:

Post a Comment