Thursday, January 8, 2015

1/8/14. surprise. How about a dual relay 50K trail run on Saturday night?

all right, well sometimes a race just falls in your lap.

my good friend Jess emailed me about a 50K dual relay trail run coming up this weekend.  team of 2, take turns running a 5.2 mile loop of trail run, hand off the bib/tracker to your partner so they can run their lap.  50K, 31.1 miles total, 15.6 miles each.  6 laps total, 3 each.  it starts in late afternoon so it will rapidly get dark in the woods.  a relay trail run with headlamps and flashlights.  she brought the idea up tuesday afternoon, asking if i wanted to run with her in this saturday night race.  this is pretty short flow, and i'm more of a long term planner (pretty detail oriented).  so this is little out of character for me, but i'm gonna do it.

http://www.seattlerunningclub.org/Events/Bridle/bridle.html

I'm really excited, this should be a lot of fun.  its a little hard to plan for (and not much time for planning).  i have experience gearing up for a marathon.  i have plans on how I will equip my drop bags for the gorge waterfall 50k.  but planning for a 50k dual relay (25k each) where i will likely run an hour, rest an hour, run an hour, and so on, is kind of strange.  get real hot and sweaty, then stand around in the dark and cold for an hour, repeat 3 times.  I guess in addition to my headlamp and flashlight, I will need a gear bag with food, warm/dry clothes, 2nd pair of shoes, blanket, maybe even a camp chair.  since its going to be 3 separate runs, I'm actually thinking of maybe not wearing my camelbak or even carrying any water on the trail.  maybe I'll just stockpile some food and water at the waiting area.  but i couldn't resist going and buying a new headlamp last night.  i had done some comparison shopping back before christmas, and then decided i didn't really need it.  i had selected Black Diamond as the manufacturer, and then reviewed the Cosmo, the Spot, the Storm, and the Revolt. I considered brightness vs weight vs projection distance vs battery life.  No one product is the best at everything, but I selected the Spot as the best compromise.  130 lumens (on max), 70m beam distance (on max), 50 hr run time (on max), 3 AAA batteries, 3.25 ounces.  Ran over to REI last night and picked one up.  It's awesome.  i went into a dark room and compared the beam to my old headlamp (TJMaxx special).  it was like day and night.  I wore the Spot on my 8 mile run at 5am this morning, just to make sure there were no issues.  I used the light a few times, but mostly turned it off to save the batteries.  i was really just wearing it to see how it felt, adjust the strap, make sure i could stand it, etc.  You never want to try your new gear on race day.  The Spot seemed like it will work out fine.



this is going to be so awesome.  I'm getting really stoked just thinking about it.  50K trail dual relay at night, in 2 days...

No comments:

Post a Comment