Wednesday, January 7, 2015

1/7/15. wed. just another "hilly" run...

55 min "hilly" run.  I think i hit all the elevation change mukilteo has to offer.  it was as tough of a training run as i have ever done.  It was chilly (37 degrees), and it was really dark and foggy.  so dark and foggy, in fact, i had to slow down my downhill runs because I couldn't see the ground.  I was afraid I'd trip and sprawl into the road. 

i ran down the big hill from my house to the lighthouse park boat launch (and dipped my fingers in the Puget Sound), just so i could say i hit zero elevation (sea level), then i ran all the way up the speedway.  this is a long haul.  at the mukilteo lodge i turned left and ran up the hill I used to do my 400m hill repeats on (this is a really steep .25 mile, probably the steepest in town, worse than a 12% grade).  after an upper loop and down, i even ran up the hill by OV middle school.  my avg pace was *so* slow, due to all the uphill.  this was so hard.  Now I'm ravenous, and my entire lower body aches.  even the bottoms of my feet hurt, maybe from the downhill impact?



in retrospect, 740 feet of elevation gain doesn't sound like all that much.  but this was hard.  so hard.  looking at the elevation data, my long haul up the speedway was basically 600 ft of elevation gain in 2 miles.  just brutal.  wednesday runs (hill repeats alternate weeks with "hilly" runs) are really a workout.  fast becoming the day I worry about the most.  when wed goes to 70 minutes, all bets are off.

No comments:

Post a Comment