Wednesday, January 21, 2015

1/21/15. the hilly run that didn't happen...

so I did not run my miles today.  the plan called for a 60 min "hilly run", and I didn't go.  I ran hard last week, 46.5 miles, my highest mileage week ever.  Over the weekend, when i had a saturday 20 mile run and a sunday 1 hour run, i was also volunteering/judging at a local crossfit competition.  more than 12 hours on my feet at the event, during which i took a break to run my miles, then got back on the floor.

I really ran myself down.  it feels like i have been fighting off a cold since sunday.  my throat felt funny last night, and i was a little congested when i woke up. all over sluggish feeling, and achy.  So when the alarm went off, i decided i needed the rest more than the miles.  in my head, i realize that missing a day, or even a week, will not likely have any effect on my general level of conditioning.  In all honesty, I  feel i could run a 50k tomorrow.  it would hurt, and it would take a long time, and recovery would be difficult, but i could do it.  the next 10 weeks are more about training to perform better, to run faster, to handle the elevation better, and to recover faster.  a few lost days will not hurt me.

but i am having trouble letting go of the run.  i am feeling guilty, and i am having regrets.  i worry about my training plan, and my upcoming 50k.  my confidence is a little shaken because i missed a training day.

I am just trying to tell myself that a few missed days to get over a cold are better than running my body into the ground, and facing an even longer recovery.  we'll see what tomorrow brings.  if i skip tomorrow, then Friday is a regular rest day, and i can jump right into the long run saturday, trail run sunday.  i hope i feel better soon. 

1 comment:

  1. I am proud of you. It is true growth to listen to what you need instead relying on slavish adherence to the plan.

    ReplyDelete