Monday, December 8, 2014

12/8/14. Monday. here we go again.

today marks day 1 of week 1 of my ultra-marathon training plan.  This is a big deal to me personally.  This will be uncharted territory.  ultra-marathon trail run.  31.1 miles of trail (often technical), 6000 feet of elevation gain. this is a really big goal.  but I am going to try to approach this one a little differently than I did the Berlin Marathon.  this is no spectacle, no party trick.  No hoopla, no count down.  just running miles and working out per a plan, to get me to the finish line on March 29, 2015.  I just want to be able to do it.

Post Berlin.  I basically WOD'd for the month of October.  Then in November, I wanted to re-establish that base of mileage that would let me jump right into the running plan in december.  so for a few weeks i ran 4 days a week and worked out 3 days a week.  then i bumped it up to 5 days running and 3 days in the gym.  the last few weeks i have slowly increased the long run, to get it up into the half-marathon range.  I have been running long on road on saturdays, then for about an hour on trail on sundays.

Its kind of against my nature, but i am going to try to be more casual and organic with this training plan.  if it ever comes down to it and i can't make a training run, i'm going to try not to obsess about it.  I'm going to do my best, but I don't need to sweat it too bad when i need to tweak the plan.  if the coach can't make it too the gym in time to open it up, i'm not going to send nasty emails and complain about the inconvenience and the impact to my training plan. i'm going to try and roll with it and just keep going.  relentless forward progress.  it will all be OK in the end.

Ultramarathon training plans are not nearly as common and as easily found as marathon training plans.  and there's not a lot of feedback/reviews of the plans out there.  I chose the plan found at http://cdn.running.competitor.com/files/2012/11/46_nat_r1.pdf    I'm going to do the weekday runs and saturday long run on road, and the sunday hour run on trail.  I will move the Tues "core" to Monday morning (5:30am), because Tuesdays evening are hectic right now.  as far as what the plan calls "core" workouts, I am going to use the (2) strength workouts i put together for Berlin (leg muscles complementary to running, core/abs, upper body).  when the miles stack up, and my energy wanes, I may drop back down to calisthetics twice a week, then once a week.  but its a rough plan that i intend to base my running on.

I hit the gym this morning at 5:30am.  strict presses. pull ups. bench presses.  GHD sit ups. GHD back extensions.  nothing special, felt good.  in and out in about an hour.  we'll see how long i can keep with the weights.  I missed the barbell during Berlin training.

so here we go...

No comments:

Post a Comment