Wednesday, December 10, 2014

12/10/14. wed. the "hilly" run

the plan called for a 45 min "hilly" run.  my neighborhood and town have plenty of local hills, that often i try to go out of my way to avoid.  lets just say that I have decided a "hilly" run was a horrible way to start the morning.  really.  this run wrecked me.  I can drop my shit and go run a half marathon, any time.  I might get sore in my legs and stiff and tight.  but it doesn't wreck me like this.  a few hours later I got all hungry and shaky and sore and tired.  this was a workout.  i guarantee my heart rate was way high for some time.  this was far more exertion than a normal run.

now, looking at the data, it doesn't look so tough.  it ended up being only about 600 feet of elevation gain (and 600 feet of elevation loss) over almost 5 miles, in 45 minutes.  trying to break this down, imagine running around a standard high school track (1/4 mile loop).  imagine every lap, the track has an elevation rise like going up a 3 story building and then back down 3 stories, in that quarter mile.  roughly 30 feet elevation gain and 30 feet elevation loss for every 1/4 mile, 20 times in a row.  it was horrible.  at one point, in the dark, the hill I was running up was so steep I actually stumbled because i didn't lift my foot high enough to step forward (like tripping going up stairs).  then on another downhill i rolled my ankle, which is still bothering me.  it was a sharp pain, and ached for a while.  I ran it off, and eventually it seemed better.  but it doesn't feel "right" and I'm a little worried about it.

but that was the "workout" run of the week.  this plan alternates wednesdays as "hilly" runs or hill intervals.  and the "hilly" run get successively longer by 5 minutes each week they come up.  all bad.  but good for their purpose, i guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment